The continued advancement of drug delivery technology is critically important in the drive to both increase efficacy and improve patient safety. Furthermore, the use of novel drug delivery systems is an increasingly important strategy for pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to enable the delivery of new drugs while also extending the commercial life of their current drugs.
pSivida's Durasert Technology is a miniaturized, injectable, sustained-release drug delivery system designed to advance the treatment of medical conditions in critical areas, such as ophthalmology.
Our Durasert Technology enables the development of drug delivery devices that can be:
- Bioerodible or non-erodible
- Administered in office visit
- Linear sustained-release kinetics (days/weeks/months/years)
- Injectable via needles as small as 25-guage
- Highly efficient/drug loading (up to 80%)
We have licensed Durasert to Pfizer Inc. for the development stage latanoprost product and to Alimera Sciences for ILUVIEN® products.
pSivida's Tethadur Technology is a platform drug delivery system that relies on nano structuring to achieve optimal drug delivery. It can be used alone or in combination with our other technologies.
The Tethadur technology systems have the potential to:
- Provide long-term delivery of anti-bodies and other proteins
- Achieve high efficiency/capacity of drug loading
- Use controlled nano structuring to vary and accommodate different molecule sizes
- Be fully bioerodible over range of time periods