pSivida specializes in the development of miniaturized, sustained-release drug devices to treat debilitating diseases of the eye and other localized, chronic conditions, such as osteoarthritis of the knee.
pSivida’s proprietary Durasert™ Technology allows for sustained-release delivery of small molecules for up to three years with a single injection. The technology has been utilized in three FDA-approved products to treat serious back-of-the-eye diseases.
Tethadur™ is an early stage investigational sustained-release delivery technology for large molecules such as monoclonal antibodies and other proteins.
pSivida’s proven Durasert™ Technology is a miniaturized, injectable, sustained-release drug delivery system for small molecules that can last for up to three years. Our primary Durasert Technology is only 3.5mm in length with a diameter of just 0.37mm. The implant can be administered in an office setting through a needle as small as 25-gauge. To date, three products utilizing the technology have been approved by the FDA to treat serious back-of-the-eye diseases. These products include ILUVIEN®, licensed to Alimera Sciences, and RETISERT® and VITRASERT®, licensed to Bausch & Lomb.
Durasert Technology for the delivery of small molecules provides the following:
- Bioerodible or non-erodible devices
- Linear sustained-release kinetics
- Customizable duration of release (from months up to three years)
- Highly efficient drug loading (up to 80%)
- Administration in an office setting
- Injectable via needles as small as 27-gauge
- Sustained treatment of chronic, localized conditions such as eye diseases and musculoskeletal diseases such as osteoarthritis
In addition to the small molecule delivery technology, pSivida is also focused on delivery of large molecules such as monoclonal antibodies and other proteins. pSivida’s Tethadur™ Technology is an early-stage investigational drug delivery system that relies on nanostructuring to achieve optimal drug delivery of large molecules.
The Tethadur Technology system has the potential to:
- Provide long-term delivery of antibodies and other proteins
- Achieve high efficiency/capacity of drug loading
- Use controlled nanostructuring to vary and accommodate different molecule sizes
- Be fully bioerodible over a range of time periods
pSivida has successfully created partnerships with some of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. pSivida seeks additional strategic partners to collaborate on the development of new sustained release drug devices; to access complementary research, technology and development capabilities; and to expand our product portfolio.
pSivida technologies have broad applicability across therapeutic areas. Our validated technologies can be utilized to deliver new drugs or to repurpose existing molecules in new applications. pSivida’s intellectual property portfolio consists of our proven Durasert™ Technology platform for the delivery of small molecules and our preclinical stage Tethadur™ Technology platform for large molecules such as antibodies and other proteins.
For more information about possible collaborations, please contact us: